“When the three of us sat in an empty office in 1990, we never dreamt that the FHP brand could become so well known regionally and nationally. I'm excited by what the future has to offer as the strength of FHP is the quality of our people and the ethos of our business.”
Having the privilege of a strong Admin and Back Up Team means that whilst I am responsible for the strategic thinking of the business, I still spend the majority of my time doing what I love, which is property deals.
The team mentality of FHP and strength in depth and quality of the people that we have in each of the individual teams means that whilst I do not handle all of the day to day instructions I know that our Client’s properties are in good hands. I am still in touch with what’s happening through our team meetings every week and by sitting in amongst the agency teams on a day to day basis.
We have retained our entrepreneurial skills and whilst our teams are sectorally based we encourage a broad depth of knowledge – this has been fundamental to FHP’s continued organic growth through the worst recession that I have personally experienced.
Somewhat perversely I was personally involved in some of my largest deals during the recessionary period. We are now seeing a greater cross spread of activity and demand across all sectors and I sincerely hope that the global / European economic uncertainty does not hold us back from continuing to achieve steady growth.
I do see however a current challenge as to how the market can provide the range and breadth of new business space development that the regional markets require to meet the emerging demand from the indigenous markets.
- Working with a variety of regional and national clients within the distribution sector who include IM Properties, First Industrial, Sladen Estates, Wilson Bowden and Gazeley by way of illustration.
- Joint Letting Agent at EMDC, a 200 acre Regional Distribution Centre where Clowes Developments have completed the 1,000,000ft² Marks and Spencers distribution unit
- Sole Letting Agent at Castlewood Business Park – a 112 acre distribution park and now the home to Co-operative Food Store’s North Regional RDC of 480,000ft²
- Working with a variety of regional and national Clients within the distribution sector who include Roxhill Developments, Sladen Estates and Gazeley by way of illustration
- Promoting strongly the Southern Gateway Regeneration Scheme within Nottingham and particularly seeking to promote and stimulate developments which include Unity Square, a consented 450,000ft² mixed use regeneration project opposite to the Nottingham Station which should see a detailed Planning Application lodged and on site works commence very shortly.
- I work closely on behalf of a number of Clients helping evolve their strategic property strategies to aid onward growth and recently assisted Gateley in their relocation within Nottingham, Shakespeares Solicitors in their relocation within Leicester and having acquired a 54,000ft² HQ Building and implemented a sale and leaseback strategy on behalf of a major Corporate Client.
I have had significant involvement and learned so much through playing sport – cricket, hockey and football – at various levels! I’ve also been able to mix my love of sport with business – I have worked alongside Nottingham Forest Football Club and Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club.
I have had to admit my age and hang up my boots but now take great pride in watching my two Sons play sport at a much higher level than I ever achieved – well to be fair I was better at Cricket than both of them!
I have had to now admit to a standard mid life crisis and am a MAMIL, cycling regularly and am at my happiest in the Alps at whatever time of the year, either on skis or two wheels.
Just to get it off my chest (!), what I don’t like is the ‘no can do’ attitude that prevails in so many walks of life, and the lack of respect between peers and younger generations.
“I have worked with, for and alongside John for 20 years having initially met on the sports pitch. John has provided advice to Gateley which has enabled the firm to continue its organic growth within the East Midlands region and most particularly helped us move to our new offices at Park View House in Central Nottingham. What I enjoy and value is that in working with John I know that he is seeking to ensure that the deal negotiated meets exactly with the brief that has been outlined and where we are working together there is a clear communication and understanding that enables us to practically and successfully negotiate our way through a problem to get the right result.”
Andy Matthews – Gateley LLP
“John has assisted me in the relocation of our Leicester and Nottingham offices. John provided me with a clear synopsis of the options that were available, summarised the pros and cons of the opportunities and the occupational costs involved and achieved through negotiation the financial objectives that we were seeking to achieve. Most importantly after the deal was agreed John was still there to help me resolve issues that arose both of a legal and practical nature.”
Ian Smit – Shakespeares
“John has acted for me on a number of occasions over the past 15 years, most recently when our office building in the centre of Nottingham became vacant. The matter was complicated by an outstanding dilapidations claim but I am pleased to say... that within a six month period our building is once again tenanted, the dilapidations were fully settled and whilst the process was not without its problems John guided us through with sound practical advice and protected both our income and asset value. I would be very happy to retain FHP for all of my future property advice.”
“We knew when our 21,000ft² building on Sherwood Park became vacant that we were setting our Marketing Agents a tough task in asking them to identify a strong company to let the entire building. Having worked with FHP over the years we knew that they would do their utmost to achieve our aspirations and by letting the entire building to Countrywide Surveyors they have done exactly that. FHP agreed terms in a competitive environment and worked alongside our Legal Advisors to conclude a very satisfactory outcome.”
Mike Tracey – Cannock Developments
“I have worked with Jonathan since the early days of Barker Ross gaining guidance on premises/properties. Jonathan has always been a key negotiator and ‘deal maker’ he is somebody I can trust and now consider to be a friend. His knowledge of the industry and ongoing market conditions are excellent.”
Paul Ross – Barker Ross Group